Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Wednesday Spotlight: Victoria Roder

I’ve already introduced you to The Dream House Visions And Nightmares. My second novel, Bolt Action is due out April 2010 from Champagne Books.

I was thrilled to have my personal story of adoption published in the anthology entitled A Cup of Comfort for Adoptive Families, Adams Media 2009. My story entitled "Why I Believe in Angels" is the account of how I came to live with my current family at the age of seven. With their acceptance and support, they helped me become who I am today. I am thankful that they chose to bring this heartbroken, "hard-to-place" little girl into their lives for the long haul.

That publication has inspired many people to share their own stories of adoption with me. Heartfelt tales told through the eyes of parents and also from the children that were adopted. I am sorry to report I also heard a few troubled stories of adoption, and one comment remained in my thoughts and stalked me. That sole comment became the disposition for a character in my novel, Bolt Action due out April 2010 from Champagne Books. www.champagnebooks.com



In the action thriller, Bolt Action, Detective Leslie Bolt and her twin sister Tasha were adopted at the age of seven by James and Ruth Bolt. Leslie is a sarcastic loner but grateful to her new family for a second chance at life. Her sister Tasha is bitter at the unfortunate circumstances that dictated her life and attempts to cover her bitterness with shallow relationships. The main premise of the novel is a serial murder mystery, but the character development of the sisters focuses on how each sister deals with their troubled past. Charles Swindoll says he is convinced that life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it. So, what’s the difference between the sisters? Attitude. Our circumstances may influence who we are, but we are each responsible for who we become. Here’s a good piece of advice I’ve heard that I would like to share, ‘be in control of your attitude, or it will control you.’

Below is an introduction to Bolt Action; for an excerpt from the novel, please view my website www.victoriaroder.com



With a Ruger Blackhawk .357 under her pillow, a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker rifle in her broom closet, and a Saturday Night Special in her road-hog cookie jar, Detective Leslie Bolt’s sarcastic attitude and inability to trust alienates her from most people, including her sister. The “State Quarter Killer” is selecting victims that appear to have nothing in common except for the State Quarter placed under their lifeless bodies. When her sister goes missing the question rises-- will Detective Bolt capture the serial killer before her sister is the next victim?

4 comments:

Stacey said...

My husband and I adopted our two daughters, so I am very interested in your personal story, as well as the story about the adopted twins in Bolt Action. I also like your take on attitude. That is a quote every person should remember and use as a mantra. Thanks for sharing.

Stacey

Lisa said...

I love what you said about attitude, too. At some point you have to decide that your start in life is only one part of your personal narrative, and then make a conscious decision to live the life you want.

Also, Bolt Action sounds great!

booklover0226 said...

Bolt Action does sound good. I look forward in reading it.

Thanks,
Tracey D

Victoria Roder said...

Thanks for the wonderful comments, and stop back tomorrow.
Vicki