Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Monday Spotlight: Beth Caudill

Why write fantasy and paranormal stories?

One question I’m often asked is why do you write fantasy and paranormal stories. The answer is simple, because I can escape into a new world and forget about my troubles. That ability to escape is also why I read those same genres.

Does this mean I don’t read any contemporary romance stories? No. I just don’t read them as often or seem to become as engrossed. For example at my local romance book club, we read Force of Nature by Suzanne Brockmann. I finished it in two weeks – a long time for me (I usually finish a novel within three days.) It was well written and I liked the characters. However, the plot of dealing with drug dealers didn’t catch my attention. I could put the book down and walk away without an internal clock ticking my impatience to return. To be fair, around the same time we had an incident at a local mall with 200 people getting into a gang related fight. The book hit too close to home and I couldn’t get away from the things I wanted to.

Does this mean fantasy/paranormal stories lack these things? No. A mage could become addicted to the rush of power from ‘blood magic’ or a vampire’s need for blood means he can’t wait to sink his fangs into the next victim. Janny Wurts does a great job mixing political and religious issues in her Wars of Light and Shadows series. Isaac Asimov mixed science and social-economic issues in the Foundation series. Nalini Singh in her Psi/Changeling series mixes political and economic issues in addition to romance.

One day I hope to create worlds and characters as memorable as theirs.


Beth Caudill
http://www.bethcaudill.net/

4 comments:

Lisa said...

So true. The paranormal lets us escape into a world we can only dream about.

I especially loved this line from your post: I could put the book down and walk away without an internal clock ticking my impatience to return. That's exactly how I feel when I'm itching to get back to a book.

Great post.

Beth Caudill said...

Hey Lisa

Thanks for stopping by. I love having a book I can't wait to get back too. Of course, I usually end up staying up late to read it. I do having a problem putting down my favorite authors.

lindseye said...

I also love the world building involved in paranormal and the what if much more than with contemporaries. I have also found Nalini Singh's books to keep the intenal clock ticking.

Beth Caudill said...

Hi Lindseye

I love Nalini Singh's psi/changelings series. I read them in one sitting...and I'll stay up really late to finish. Her's are ones I can't put down.

Although...I don't get into the Archangel series as much. Still has great writing...I just don't get into the angel thing as much.