Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ancient Magic by Denyse Bridger

The air is scented lightly with the sheer agelessness of this world. The twilight colours of the sky paint a pattern that echoes the voices of Gods and heroes upon my heart, bewitching an imagination that is easily filled with wonders and magics. Stars wink, the playful flirtatiousness of Zeus, perhaps? Or the watchful eyes of the wrathful Hera?

I came here, alone, lost. In this timeless place of myth and legend; home of the mighty Gods of a past that reaches across all barriers to become the reality of my spirit.

Ares, proud and defiant; harbinger of doom, death, and perverse seduction. A War God, symbol of all that I abhor. Yet, I cannot deny his allure.

Aphrodite, sensual temptress, paragon of beauty and passion. The lingering memory that is inborn to all women who accept their truest natures.

The fierce demi-god, Hercules; Champion of the people, despite his own all too human weaknesses. Bound by honour, to be revered by all who walk this world after him; this was a man who embraced his destiny and did all that was demanded of him.

Wicked Dionysus, who indulged the weaknesses of mortal men, and laughed as only the Gods could.

Artemis... Hephaestus... Poseidon... Hades... Apollo... Athena...

My mind reels with the stories, the possibilities.

And among this splendour, this vast, enchanting world, he smiles for me; and I know that I would trade none of that Ancient sorcery for these precious hours in his company.

My dream walks at my side in this Greek island paradise. The deepening night is not dark enough to cast the nightshade of his hair into formless shadow. His smile is the sun, and my heart races to see it.

He holds out his hand to me, beckons me into his orbit; a place that feels more like home than any place I have ever known.

The touch of his fingers as they curl around mine creates a warmth that floods into my veins; Ambrosia of the soul─the Gods themselves could have possessed nothing as sweet.

In the distance, the lilting reverberations of music; tempos at once wild and melodious.

"How long do you want to stay?"

Forever, my mind whispers. "Tonight is long enough," answers the part of me which demands no less than honesty.

He stops, stares intently at me; measuring truth against longing. Silently, he draws me closer, and turns toward the ocean waters. The azure depths have grown ebony now, the reflected glory of the heavens dancing on the tips of shore-bound waves that lap gently at the sands. On the glittering surface of the eternal vastness of the sea, pale silver moonglow illuminates a path that leads to another place and time.

"I feel like the Gods are striving to seduce us into Olympus," I murmured, entranced by the vista before us. Grey eyes are dark, unfathomable as the depths of Poseidon's domain when I look up at him.

His smile, a breath of curve to his lips, is enigmatic and erotic. The brush of his hands skimming the contours of my arms as he draws me against him makes me shiver.

"Are you cold?"

I laugh, he knows better; it's in his voice. He knows that his very presence is the cause of my tremors. That I am held captive by the smooth, soft cadence of his tones, the silk of his shoulder-length hair, the supple strength in his slender muscles. But, mostly, my heart aches for his love.

"You're a romantic," he teased, with profound gentleness.

"You've known that from the moment we met," I answered. "Before we met."

He nodded, and leaned closer, placed a feather-like kiss on my forehead. Then, I felt the languid sway of his body as he began to draw me into a dance.

Breathing deeply, I sent a prayer to the divine Goddess of Love. Long minutes later, when he lowered his lips to mine, I knew she'd heard me; and answered my heart's deepest desire...

He loves me, too. Forever just might be one night, but with this man, it can be enough.

About the Author: Canadian born and bred, and a lifelong dreamer, I began writing at an early age and can’t recall a time when I wasn’t creating in some artistic form. My life has had several on-going love affairs that shape much of what I write, the American West, Victorian England, cowboys, a passion for pirates, Greek Gods, and Ancient Egypt. The other endless love affair in my life is Italia and all its magic, beauty, and dazzling culture. That passion spills into all aspects of my life. Website: Blog:

No comments: