Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Monday Spotlight: Linda Poitevin

This post is part of Linda's Virtual Book Tour celebrating the release of her debut novel A Fairy Tale for Gwyn. Linda will be giving away a pair of artisan-crafted earrings as well as a $10 gift certificate to The Wild Rose Press (a total prize package worth $20) to one lucky commenter.

Her other stops can be found here. Remember, the more you comment, the better your chances of winning.


Building Character


The Character Sketch. Some writers swear by it, others never use it. Still others have their own variation. But is any one of those variations better than another? Like most things when it comes to writing, I think it’s a matter of personal choice – of what works best for you.


Whether or not I use any kind of character-building exercise depends a lot on the kind of book I’m writing, and how complicated the plot line is. When I’m writing in only one or two points of view, I spend so much time in my characters’ heads that I often don’t need to do separate sketches of them – as long as (and here’s the caveat!) their goals, motivations, and conflicts are clear.


At times when GMC is a little on the hazy side, I’ve learned that I need to set aside the story and dig a little deeper. Even then, however, my process remains relatively informal and doesn’t follow any kind of a set format. Instead of listing traits (favorite colors, foods, etc.) or interviewing a character, I put myself firmly inside his/her head and write a first-person monologue. I begin by stating name and occupation, and then let the words flow from there.


By allowing my characters to tell their own stories in their own words, I gain huge insight into what makes them tick. Tidbits of history might surface that result in an “aha” moment (her kid brother put a snake into her sleeping bag on a camping trip? So that’s why she hates snakes so much!). Personality traits come out, back-story deepens, and before I know it, the issues of goal, motivation and conflict have cleared themselves up.


Will this method always work for me? Perhaps...and perhaps not. I may find a character one day who is so taciturn and uncommunicative that only the formal “sit down and answer my questions, damn it!” approach will work. The important thing to remember, I think, is that no matter how you achieve it, getting to know your characters at least as well as you know yourself is tantamount to a solid, believable story.

Gwyn Jacobs doesn’t believe in happy-ever-after.

Ever since her ex-husband walked out four years ago, abandoning her with a toddler and infant twins, Gwyn has been mother, father, and bread-winner all rolled into one. Her own scarred heart and failed marriage aside, she is determined not to open up her children’s lives to the possibility of another heartbreak...until her very own fairy tale falls into her lap -- and the hero won’t take no for an answer!

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Great post Linda!

I agree. It's different for everyone, how they get inside the head of their character. I wonder if the process can ever be the same twice...

darkangelauthor said...

Thanks, Lisa! My own process is under constant refinement...kind of like my life...I like to think it helps keep things fresh! :)

Cate Masters said...

Interesting post, Linda. Some characters pose more difficulty in getting beneath their skin than others - and those usually wind up more interesting characters. It's good to dig deep to get a real feel for them.
Congrats on your release!
Cate

cheryl c said...

Congrats on your debut novel! It sounds like a winner! I wish you great success with it. :-)

Cheryl
castings at mindspring dot com

darkangelauthor said...

Too true about some being more difficult than others, Cate. I'm struggling with one of those now. Interestingly, I attended a workshop yesterday where a local mystery writer was talking about characterization. She posed a few questions that I'd never considered, and now the juices are beginning to flow again. I think I'm going to try her idea of writing a bio for this character, and see where it leads.

Thanks for stopping by!
Linda

darkangelauthor said...

Thanks so much, Cheryl!

Rebekah E. said...

Congrats on your debut. Sounds like a great story.

darkangelauthor said...

Thank you, Rebekah. I had a lot of fun writing it! Checked out your profile...are you the artist behind the drawing of the angel? It's beautiful!

Warmly,
Linda

darkangelauthor said...

Oops...just realized it's a fairy...but she's still beautiful! :)

robynl said...

yay for the mother not wanting her kids dealing with another heartbreak. It sounds like a great read. Congrats on the debut novel Linda.

yourstrulee(at)sasktel(dot)net

darkangelauthor said...

It was a lot of fun to write, Robyn, so I'm hoping it's just as much fun to read! :) Thanks for stopping by to visit!

Linda
P.S. I see you're a fellow Canadian...what part of the country?