Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thursday Spotlight: Nancy Lindley-Gauthier

Tea, anyone? Love and the historical novel… oh let’s just admit it, the oh-so-Victorian!

Among my absolutely favorite, FAVORITE things to read: catty drawing room conversations between the ladies and their guests in Victorian times. Oh, I’m sure there were some genuinely pleasant women among the population who made up nice, cream-filled pastries for their afternoons and asked their guests well-meaning questions. Who wants to read that? I adore the ones who guilelessly swirl their coffee, a cucumber sandwich poised tres’ elegantly in their hand, and murmur something along the lines of; “Scarlet red… my dear, it does suit you…” and trail off, apparently innocently oblivious to all the innuendos…

Of course its impossible for an entire work to encompass snide conversation, but I sure do hope someone gives it a try. I have a Victorian-era novella available from the Red Rose Press: “To a Foreign Shore.” I have to admit the drawing-room doesn’t get much play, but it isn’t for lack of trying!

Do you have a favorite historical novel or novella you’d like to recommend? I’d love to find some great new reads, myself!


Maureen said...

Any of Loretta Chase's or Lisa Kleypas' stories are good ones.

robynl said...

Private Arrangements by Sherry Thomas is a good one.