Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, November 16, 2009

Monday Spotlight: Jennifer Loy


This article was published in the Romance Writer’s Report in April 2007. Today, I look back on my decision to become a writer with three published print books available and I’m happy. My mother would be proud of me.

Behind Every Novel


Behind every novel is someone's passion, maybe a history, a reason, or possibly an escape. Two years ago I received a phone call from a coroner that changed my life forever. The call was to inform me that my mother, only fifty-six years old, had been violently murdered by her husband of only two years. Speaking to my mother on a weekly basis was normal for me and not hearing from her that last week of her life was more than disturbing. When someone that you love passes on, especially without being able to say goodbye, your purpose in life seems to change. Needless to say, it was the hardest thing I'd ever been through.

One year later I moved to Hawaii. It was paradise. I lived there for one year and that is where my story really begins. I felt the need to write down what I had been through. I purchased my first laptop. Want to know what I wrote? Not about grief, not about sadness, and not about guilt. I wrote the funniest damn story I could think of. It was the best therapy anyone could have offered. I wrote five full length novels that year and joined the RWA (Romance Writers of America) Aloha Chapter.

Now in Las Vegas, I have written seven full length novels. Being a writer and published author has changed my life. It's given me a sense of hope that anytime I need to escape I know where to go. It is drive that creates a good novel. It is passion that makes you continue to write them. It is life experience that encircles your plots, but most of all it is You, a unique voice behind your novel. No matter what happens in your life remember that people may not see your feelings but they sure continue to read them.

Jennifer Loy

4 comments:

lainey bancroft said...

Very well said, Jennifer.

Sorry you had to suffer such a horrible experience, but I'm glad you found the escape you need in your writing.

Congrats on the new book. Your cover is fantastic!

jenniferloy said...

Thanks Lainey! I really have found the escape. Have a great day.. :D

booklover0226 said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Jennifer, but I know your mother is quite proud of you.

I look forward in reading your other posts and works.

Thanks,
Tracey D

jenniferloy said...

Thanks Tracey for posting..Hope you all enjoy the excerpt for today.