Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wednesday Spotlight: Amelia Grey

Amelia Grey Guest Blog, author of A Marquis to Marry

Every writer has their own way of writing and for me that means there are five must-haves for me:

1. Passion
2. Intrigue
3. Humor
4. Memorable Secondary Characters
5. And of course, a happy ending!

I have to say, that out of all these, the most important for me is passion. Passion is the first and last thing I want to have in any romance book. I’m not just talking about hot and heavy love. I want to feel the passion in what I’m writing.

I’m a die-hard romance reader, as well as author, and I want to see passion when the hero and heroine first meet. Here is an example from my current book A Marquis to Marry, the second book in the Rogues’ Dynasty:

She stared at him with an amused expression on her lovely face. Race’s heart skipped a beat. The dowager was not an old, unattractive lady. She was a stunning beauty.

She walked toward him with a slow, confident stroll, stopping a respectable distance away. “You know, I’ve heard that about you,” she said.

His stomach did a slow roll. “What’s that?”

“That you can charm a leopard out of its spots and a nun out of her virtue.”

Race raised one brow. “You shouldn’t believe everything you read in the gossip pages.”

“In your case, I think they may be right.”

Race let his gaze slowly peruse her. He appreciated the fact that she looked him over as closely as he looked at her.

“Then tell me, Your Grace, are you a leopard or a nun?”

This is also an example of passion blended with humor. Of course, there must be passion in the love scenes, but it also has to be there, just under the surface of everything, throughout the book. I not only want to feel it when the hero and heroine meet, and when they make love, I want to feel it when they break up and when they reunite for the happy ever after at the end of the book.

I also want to experience passion when the intrigue is introduced in the story. Here’s another short excerpt:

He expected her to move away from him, but she stood her ground without flinching. He heard her labored breathing and, for a moment, he watched the rise and fall of her chest. She was so fascinating he found it difficult to concentrate on the matter at hand.

Yet, he couldn’t let her accusation that he had something that belonged to her family go unchallenged. That went against his easygoing nature.

Her breaths evened out, and he said, “First, you are certainly bold to walk in here and make such a claim. That impresses me. Second, I’m amused that you were so blunt. If you truly thought I had something that belonged to you, there are nicer ways to say it than, ‘It’s mine and I want it back.’ And third, Duchess, I don’t have anything that belongs to your family.”

“Your points are well-taken, but I merely said you have it in your possession.”

“Your audacity is almost as priceless as the pearls, but know this, Your Grace, there is no way I’m selling the pearls to a one-armed antiquities dealer, a pirate, or the Crown. And I’m sure as hell not going to be bluffed out of them by a beautiful duchess.” Race’s gaze pierced hers. “This is a dangerous game you are playing.”

“But play it I must.” She remained firm and collected. “And have no doubts that I am playing for keeps. I intend to find that necklace, and when I do, mark my words, my lord, I will keep it.”

And lastly, I think there also needs to be a sparks of passion when the secondary characters are on scene. Passion adds intrigue to the subplots and helps keep the secondary characters interesting. In A Marquis to Marry Race is fiercely loyal and passionately protective of his friend Sir Randolph Gibson. I’ll add another short excerpt from A Marquis to Marry that demonstrates this.

This time it was clear Prattle pointed to Gibby, and not to Race.


Race felt like a fist slammed into this stomach, and he jerked toward his elderly friend. It was one thing for the man to accuse Race of a vile act—he could easily defend himself—but accusing Gibby was a whole different matter. Race wouldn’t let Prattle get away with that. Everyone in London knew Gibby was a man of impeccable honor.

Now that I’ve shown you why I believe passion is at the root of all five “must-haves” for me, tell me what is a must have for you in a romance.

A Marquis to Marry, Book Two in the Rogues’ Dynasty Trilogy, In Stores October 2009

Alexander Mitchell Raceworth, the dashing fourth Marquis of Raceworth, is shocked when the alluring young Duchess of Brookfield accuses him of stealing priceless pearls belonging to her family. Susannah Brookfield is the most beautiful, enchanting woman he has ever met, but despite his attraction, he's not about to hand over the pearls.

Though suspicion and mistrust drive them apart when the pearls are stolen, Race suggests they pool their resources to recover them. If they do find them, will they finally be able to give in to love, or will the truth of the elusive necklace tear them apart once and for all?

About the Author

Amelia Grey’s awards include the Booksellers Best and the Aspen Gold, and as Gloria Dale Skinner, the coveted Romantic Times Award for Love and Laughter and the prestigious Maggie Award. Her books have been featured in Doubleday and Rhapsody Book Clubs. Happily married for twenty-five years, she lives in Panama City Beach, Florida.

Amelia's Tour Schedule:

September 28: The Book Faery Guest Blog
September 29: A Journey of Books Guest Blog
September 30: Lib’s Library
October 2: Romance Reader at Heart’s Novel Thoughts Blog
October 5: Love Romance Passion Guest Blog
October 6: Yankee Romance Reviewers Guest Blog
October 7: Cheeky Reads Interview
Long and Short of It Guest Blog
October 8: The Good, the Bad, the Unread
October 9: Books Like Breathing Interview
Romance Junkies Guest Blog
October 12: Anna’s Book Blog Interview
Medieval Bookworm
October 13: Sia McKye’s Thoughts Over Coffee Guest Blog
October 14: Fresh Fiction Guest Blog
October 15: A Book Blogger’s Diary
October 16: Fallen Angel Reviews Guest Blog

No comments: