Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Thursday Spotlight: Stefanie Worth

Love songs & writing romance

Have you met Maxwell “Mack” McKnight? Named for two favorite singers – Maxwell and Brian McKnight – he’s the leading man in my debut novel Where Souls Collide. As you read the book, you’ll notice the music strewn throughout. Whether en route to work, chiming from cell phones or accompanying love scenes, tunes abound.

Not so much during the writing phase, but definitely as I revised, I surrounded myself with what I deemed the soundtrack of this story. There were songs that seemed to define each character and set the mood I wanted to maintain throughout the novel. For Maxwell and Mack, that song is “For You to Love” by Luther VanDross.

In last year’s holiday novella, "Can You Believe", the chosen tune was “Far Away” by Nickelback. I played the song constantly to help keep me tuned into my hero – who was having a difficult time focusing on the priorities in his life. Not only did I know all the lyrics, my seven-year-old daughter knows them by heart, too.

While I haven’t created a soundtrack for my current work in progress, "HeavenSent.com", my latest novella (in the Holiday Brides anthology) was written to a wide variety of Christmas songs. Some happy, some sad, some from the 50s and other present-day, each melody found a purpose in the context of the story.

I heard my debut hero’s song on my way to work a few days ago. Every time I hear the words, “I came here. . .through a hurricane. . .never doubt, never fear. . .honey, it’s you I love,” I think of my his relentless pursuit of his heroine Navena. That a man would journey across the country – even through time and space – to have the woman his soul yearns for melts my heart.

After all, who wouldn’t want to be loved like that?

2 comments:

booklover0226 said...

Using music is an interesting way to get your creative juices flowing!

Thanks,
Tracey D

Stefanie Worth said...

Tracey --
Sound is one of the best ways I've found to stimulate the senses. I'm hooked on Pandora.com these days and now I have soundtracks for every mood.

Thanks for stopping by!