Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thursday Spotlight: Ryshia Kennie

The Story Behind the Story

Ring of Desire

Black Lyon Publishing, November 2009

Whispers of an ancient magic

draw them together ...

1072 England, in Hafne a curse has swept the land. As one of the chosen, Vala is destined to drive away the darkness. But the newly arrived Norman is an unnecessary complication in Hafne - and in Vala's heart.

... An unspeakable evil fights

to keep them apart.

Giles arrives to claim his new holding only to rescue a mysterious woman from a watery death. Holding Vala in his arms, the stirrings of destiny and desire link him to a prophecy of which he wants no part - binding him in a fight to save his soul and hers.

Here’s how my most recent book, Ring of Desire, came to be:

Medieval England, keeps and castles, knights and armor aplenty – that Ring of Desire should be an historical was as inevitable as the fact that it would be written.

1072 England - I researched politics, dress, speech and customs and loved every minute of it. So, with a medieval background firmly in my mind, a hero begging to leap into action and an opening scene ready to go, I began to write. And that is when everything changed. Someone was whispering in the background.

“The One. The One,” they whispered every time my beleaguered hero made an appearance.

I was hearing voices! I admit the far reaches of my imagination can be a busy place, but the voices were totally unexpected and now they were populating my story.

What the heck was that about? Even in the opening scene as my hero, Giles, rescued Vala from a watery death, there was the whispering and hints of something else. I was as baffled as Giles and writing stopped for a bit as the plot had to be reworked to accommodate what was obviously a hint of magic.

Wrong! It was more than a hint of magic. Ring of Desire took me totally by surprise from its final name to the outcome of the story. It was one of my favorite stories to write.

The Ancients and their magical dynasty took the story to a place I originally didn’t consider. But in the end, Ring of Desire is still a story of overcoming the odds and trusting enough to love. It is literally a love affair that runs through time.

Til Tomorrow



Dena said...

Hi Ryshia, Your book sounds really interesting. I haven't read a book in that time period in a long time.

booklover0226 said...

Is it November, yet? I'm ready to read this book!

Tracey D

Ryshia Kennie said...

Dena - Ring of Desire was the first book I've set in that time period. It was a lot of fun to write and addictive to research.

Tracy D - Brilliant - November 15 unless you get lucky on the draw!

campfirestars said...

Ryshia--your story intro has definitely piqued my interest! Can hardly wait for it's release date!

Ryshia Kennie said...

Campfirestars - Brilliant! I'm so glad Ring of Desire captured your interest. It certainly did mine - when I was writing it I didn't want it to end.