Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, October 26, 2009

Monday Spotlight: Ryshia Kennie

A Travel Journal Gone Askew

In the inevitable search for love there are many land mines but dodging them is half the fun and that’s the secret of my stories. In my travels there’s been many unexpected and amazing things and the memories of those are only the beginning of the fictional adventure. From earthquakes in Hawaii to being chased by enraged water carriers in Morocco to a deep-sea fishing trip gone slightly askew in Venezuela. It all happened. While not all and even not most of my trips have been earth shaking adventures they still have been incredible vignettes into another world.

An elephant plodding home through Phnom Penh rush hour after a full day’s work was worth a trip back on two consecutive days to see. An apron clad woman waving a tea towel as she flags a ride in Costa Rica - we reluctantly had to leave her behind as our rental car was already full with other “hitchhikers.” A brawl on a Thai beach as guides fight for our fare – fortunately the other side of the beach provided much more amiable guides. A monitor emerging from the ocean on a quiet Malaysian beach – where was my camera? The scenes of foreign lands play vividly through my mind long after I return home. And it is these scenes where my hapless characters land but soon it is not them but me who is hapless as they lead me through adventure after adventure. From another country to another era – the world is full of the unique and the unusual and it is a joy to find it, live it and write about it.

Follow the adventure on my blog Passport to Romance:

Want more? It’s not just a love story and I’ll prove it at:

But in the meantime, in the ensuing few days, let me entertain you with one of those travel stories and a bit about the books I love to write. I’ll cap it all with a pre-celebration of my favorite holiday – Halloween.

Til tomorrow.



campfirestars said...

Your travel experiences sound facinating! It's always the little "disasters" that one remembers in delightful detail. I can't wait to hear more this week!

Ryshia Kennie said...

It's true the little disasters make the best stories but in the moment they feel like heart stopping catastrophes. Thanks for stopping by - hope you stick around for the week.