Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, October 2, 2009

Friday Spotlight: Sandy Lender

What She Writes

By Nigel Taiman, for Fantasy Author Sandy Lender

By way of introduction, I’m Nigel Taiman, the new owner of Arcana and an ofersey’n of Onweald. My fantasy author, Sandy Lender, who’s been featured here this week, has given me this opportunity to discuss her use of romance in fantasy. (She’s quite demanding of me when it comes to this marketing and promotion.)

Authors have been including elements of one genre in other genres for years. It gives book sellers and libraries mini-conundrums when it comes time to classify novels. Is it a thriller or a comedy? Is it a sci-fi or a romance? In Sandy’s case, Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings are straight-up fantasy, but, then, you’ve got action-adventure and a sweet romance amid the plots. (But you can find them in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section at Barnes & Noble.) This kind of mixing and matching makes for stellar storytelling. Why should an author be limited to just one genre, anyway?

Personally, I approve of Sandy’s use of sweet romance in fantasy because it allows me to court the lovely Amanda Chariss, the heroine of the Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings novels. Would I like to do more than court Chariss? But of course. But Chariss has so many tasks to perform, so many responsibilities, so many of Sandy’s plots to resolve that she really has to concentrate on the “fantasy” aspect of the mixed genres. I get caught up in these responsibilities as well, despite my interest in the romance.

You can certainly hear more about my opinion on the matters of romance in fantasy, listen to my ramblings about Chariss’s perfection, and catch a few of my snide remarks about Sandy’s growing insanity at my blog. http://sandylender.blogspot.com

All my best to you,

Nigel Taiman

1 comment:

Sandy Lender said...

Sandy says: It's been a joy being feature here this week! I hope everyone's entering the contests to win fabulous schtuff. Enjoy and ask any questions you desire!
Also visit my blog at http://www.todaythedragonwins.blogspot.com to hear about the October contest that's gonna rock everybody's world. Nice...
Sandy Lender
"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."