Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tuesday Spotlight: Angela Steed

Writing Romance – Men 101

So now that you sort of know who I am and what piques my daily fancy, whatever that means, it’s time to find out why I write romance novels. I’ve asked myself this question many times. To be honest, there are many answers, but I have yet to land on one single definitive word.

It’s time to analyze.

The first word that comes to mind is, men, of course. I’m sure many romance writers will say the same thing. Let’s face it, gals. Some men in the real world need to be left alone on a deserted island tied tightly to a rotting palm tree awaiting the next tidal wave. Some need kicked to the curb for being the hair on the butt of a donkey, or better yet, the ass itself (no offense to donkeys everywhere). And then when you meet that truly handsome, out of this world man who is sensitive, kind and passionate, and loves to go shopping with you, he ends up being gay. In the wise words of Jerry Seinfeld, I quote, “…not that there’s anything wrong with that.” I love shopping with my gay friend Ben who has an out of this world sense of fashion and humor. ;)

Anyway, the men we read and/or write about, you know, the gorgeous, sensitive, I’ll bend over backwards for you, dear, kind of men, very rarely we will find in real life. Don’t get me wrong, I’m totally in love with my husband. Sometimes he needs tied to a tree and left alone to realize his faults, (insert evil laughter here). But then, most of the time, he throws me for a loop and he becomes this unbelievably romantic, sexy, passionate man that I absolutely adore. So yeah, a rare find and I’m so lucky to have found him.

When we read and write about these hopelessly in love, gorgeous gods that make us feel all squishy inside, we make them real for us so we can have our happily-ever-after. Or, if you’ve already found the real deal, like me, it could possibly be we’re sharing the idea.

No comments: