Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Wednesday Spotlight: Jeannie Ruesch

As a romance writer, your friends and family are going to read your work. Generally speaking, that doesn’t bother me. I hope they like it. However, I am a romance writer…Inevitably, there is going to be some variation of a sex scene in my books. Which means that people I know will read something sexy written by me. My best friend. My mother in law. And oh my Lord, even my grandmother, will read these scenes. (Talk about embarrassing.)

So I know what the embarrassing moments about sex scenes and romance novels are for me, the writer…but what about as a reader? I love to read as much as I love to write, and I usually have at least one or two novels on hand to read when I have a few spare minutes. That includes when I sit on the couch with my three year old son in the morning, drinking my coffee and reading for a few minutes while he drinks his milk and watches Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. It’s a time we get to snuggle on the couch together…but because I invariably will be reading a romance novel, a sex scene is likely on some days. And I have to say, I just have a problem reading sex scenes with my son next to me. LOL I don’t care if I’m standing in line at the DMV surrounded by strangers staring at the obvious cover. I don’t care if I’m in the kitchen, stirring a pot of something for dinner with one hand and a book in the other. But with my son even in the room? Nope, can’t do it. :-)

So what about you? I’d love to know what some taboo places are for reading “those portions” of romance novels…

Remember to answer the daily question for a chance to win this lovely tea party basket.

No comments: