Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thursday Spotlight: Jeannie Ruesch


“All for one and one for all.” ~ The Three Musketeers

Do you have a brother or sister? I am the middle child between two brothers, and I can tell you there is no other relationship like that of a sibling. That relationship has characteristics unmatched: the loyalty, the love, the times you want to wring their necks (or in my case, lock a certain older brother out of the house) but a day later, you can go outside and have an adventure like Batman and Robin. Most of all, having a sibling means understanding that someone has known you your entire life, they probably know all your secrets (including the ones you still haven’t told Mom and Dad) and they’re required to love you anyway. If you’re lucky, they might even like you.

When I started writing Something About Her, I knew that my heroine’s relationship with her siblings was paramount. Not just to her as a character, but to her story and a large portion of that comes from my own life, my own feelings about growing up with brothers. As children, my older brother and I were at times of the “us against them” mentality. It was definitely an “us against them” moment the night we came back into our house at 2am (mind you, we were about 8 and 11 years old at the time) after T-Ping a house in the neighborhood. We walked into the dark house and there, in the corner of the living room, sitting in the rocking chair sat our father. Busted. But we were busted together. Through all of the ups and downs in my life, my brothers have been there. I know they always will be.

Something About Her is the first book in a series, and each of the siblings – Blythe (the heroine in the first), Adam, Cordelia, Lily and Georgiana will get their stories. I love spending so much time with this family that I get to tell their stories, not just how each of them finds love, but how much their relationship with each other affects their lives.

Remember to answer the daily question for a chance to win this lovely tea party basket.

No comments: