Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tuesday Spotlight: Caridad Pineiro


Not all of my novels are about vampires and dark things. In fact, I decided to write the first South Beach Chicas story because I needed a change from the supernatural and wanted to explore the issues that many modern women face, namely, a friend’s marriage, an unexpected romance and of course, the relationships with our mothers.

When I started writing "Wild at Heart" from Friday Night Chicas, a story about four friends on a fun 30th birthday cruise, I also made the decision to move the story from my beloved Manhattan to another city that I’ve always enjoyed – Miami. Two very different cities with equally unique flavors. Manhattan is a melting pot of hundreds of cultures and millions of people. Cold, dark and anonymous at times like my vampires. Miami is sunshine and warmth, peppered with a variety of Latino cultures which embue the city with its very tropical vibe. Just the place for four sexy and modern women to pursue their careers and love as they do in Sex and the South Beach Chicas and South Beach Chicas Catch Their Man.

If you’ve read any of the Chicas stories, you know that any of the four women would order up a mojito while spending some time together or out on a date. Mojitos are a tasty Cuban cocktail – grown up limeade and perfect for those sultry Miami nights. I thought I’d share with you a simple recipe for the cocktail in case you wanted to have your own South Beach moment. I’m also sharing a photo with you from a recent research trip there! Is there another Chicas book coming up? Actually, the research trip is for Ardor Calls, another vampire book in THE CALLING series. I decided that there was one very special and very unique vampire – Stacia – who needed to get away from Manhattan and check out the fun in Miami. Ardor Calls will be out in 2010.


But without further ado, here’s that mojito recipe! Salud!

Mojito
(pronounce it ‘mo-hee-toe,’ and savor the flavor of a night in South Beach!)

An easy mojito recipe to share with your friends:

1.5 oz white Rum
12 fresh spearmint leaves
1/2 lime
7 oz club soda
2 tbsp. simple sugar syrup
(or 4 tsp. sugar)

Gently crush (muddle) the mint leaves in the bottom of a tall glass.

Lightly squeeze lime into the glass.

Pour sweet syrup to cover the mint leaves and lime.

Fill glass with ice. Add Rum, club soda, and stir your mojito.

Garnish with a lime wedge and a few sprigs of mint.

If you don’t have simple sugar syrup, place granulated sugar, lime juice, rum and mint in cocktail shaker and shake until the sugar is dissolved. Then add the club soda and garnish.

For flavor variants, try spiced and mango rums! I prefer the original though because the taste is refreshing and light.

Note: For a chance to win one of three prizes from Caridad: an autographed copy of Soldier's Secret Child, autographed copy of Moon Fever, or a Sins of the Flesh T-shirt, CLICK HERE and answer the question on her spotlight.

11 comments:

Julie Robinson said...

Happy Birthday week, Caridad!

Think I'll help you celebrate by fixing one of those Mojitos later this evening :-) What a delicious looking recipe. Of course, I love anything that has a rum base. But the other ingredients you mention just appeal to my sweet tooth.

We'll be going to Miami in May for the first time. Can't wait! My DH, almost 18-year old son, and I love Burn Notice and are hoping to catch a glimpse of the crew. All right, maybe THEY are hoping to ogle all those bikini clad women on the show!

I haven't read any of your Chica stories, but they do sound like they capture the spirit of the city.

Julie

Kaye Manro said...

I love this recipe! I'll have to go out and make one soon.

Jane said...

Thanks the mojito recipe.

JeanP said...

Can't wait to try the mojito recipe, my favorite drink

Pat Cochran said...

I keep reading about mojitos, but I
have yet to try one! Because of the
medications that I take, I usually restrict myself as to my intake of
alcohol. Since I've only had one glass of wine so far this year, I should be able to have a mojito!

Pat Cochran

Virginia said...

Happy Birthday Caridad!

Your books sounds so good and I am going to have to try those Mojitos, because I love drinks mix with Rum, the only way to go.

Tamara B. said...

Thank-you for the mojito recipe love them.

Caridad Pineiro said...

The mojitos are dangerous! They sneak up on you. Have a great time in Miami, Julie. It's a fun city.

blackroze37yahoo.com said...

im a fan of teq sunrise and margitas and long island ice tea and, well maybe i should stop now lol

Julie Robinson said...

Thanks Caridad!

robynl said...

never have had a Mojito!!!