Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thursday Spotlight: Caridad Pineiro

I’m often asked by fans and fellow writers how I manage to write so many books since I have a full time job, namely being an attorney in Manhattan. My area of practice is Intellectual Property (patents, copyrights and trademarks) which dovetails nicely at times with my passion – writing. Being an attorney is a job that often requires longer hours, but I’ve managed to handle that by going into work early so I can be home every night for dinner and family time. Family is the most important thing in my life.

So where does the writing fit in? Writing is my passion. I started writing in the fifth grade when a teacher assigned a project – to write a twenty page (typed) book to be placed in a class lending library. The idea so intrigued me that I went home and started writing. Near the end of the year, my poor mom had to type 120 pages of my novel!

I knew then I had the writing bug and kept on writing through high school, college and law school, but it wasn’t until my daughter was born that I knew I had to commit to something – getting a book published. I wanted my daughter to know that anything was possible if you worked hard for it. It was a lesson my mom had taught me and I wanted to pass it on to her.

So late at night after my baby daughter was asleep, I’d get to work on my novel. A short while later, I was lucky enough to take an adult education class with Fern Michaels who liked what I was writing. That wonderful woman sent the chapters I had written to her publisher and a discussion ensued. They wanted something contemporary and my work didn’t fit into any of the historical categories being published. So I went back to work and four years later, I sold them my first book!

Ten years later, I’m working on my twenty-fifth book which will be out sometime in 2010. 25! It’s more than I could have imagined and I am thankful every day for the opportunity to be able to fulfill my passion for writing.

How do I do it with a family and full time job, you’re probably wondering again. Well, I take the train to work every day which gives me about 1.5 hours of writing time for the round trip. I also write for about 3 or 4 hours on every Saturday and Sunday. If I’m under deadline, or if a story is really calling to me, I’ll also write at night after dinner, although this is tiring after a full day of work.

With that schedule, I generally can finish two to three books a year and also develop a few proposals for future books. That’s a key thing – to always have work ready to be submitted. It’s important to have regular product on the shelves so that readers will be able to get their fix – I have a fan who joked she was a Caridaddict! LOL!

I guess what I finish with today is what my mom instilled in me and that I’ve hopefully instilled in my daughter – anything is possible if you work hard for it.

Note: For a chance to win one of three prizes from Caridad: an autographed copy of Soldier's Secret Child, autographed copy of Moon Fever, or a Sins of the Flesh T-shirt, CLICK HERE and answer the question on her spotlight.


Virginia said...

I agree with you that anything is possible if you work hard at it. My mother taught me this too! said...

regretfully i grew up, with a mother and granmother, and had no idead what it was going to be like as a adult LOL
i was very shocked the world didnt wait on me hand and foot said...

Sins of the Flesh T-shirt
im ing my best to find out where to send the answer to win this shirt

love to have it

Julie Robinson said...

Hello Caridad,

Your story is very inspiring. I like what you said about "I knew I had to commit to something." And your advice to "always have something ready to submit."

The idea your teacher had back when to write a 20-page book to be placed in the library is great! I don't know if teachers can do that anymore, but I've got to tell my sister how this idea motivated you to do more. She teaches reading at an Elementary School in Texas.

Thanks for sharing your story.