Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Monday Spotlight: Amanda Burns

Black Sheep

Hello readers, I’m Amanda Burns, author of spicy romantic suspense, and I’m delighted to be here with you this week at Long and Short Reviews. I hope I’ll get to hear from you!

I started writing romance several years ago and made my first sale in 2005: Willow Smoke, released at AweStruck in 2007. Since then I’ve had three more books released:The Unmasking at New Concepts, Nadja’s Literary Cappuccino at Freya’s Bower and Detour Ahead (AweStruck), and I have several more works in progress.

I chose my pen name to honor two black sheep ancestors: a great grandfather (Burns) who was born in the late 1800s to an unwed mother and suffered shame and stigma all his life, and a great grandmother (Amanda) whose Cherokee blood led her family to nearly disown her. It means a lot to me to bring life to their voices through writing characters who struggle with similar obstacles - we all deserve happy endings.

For my heroines, I like to write ordinary women who’ve taken some tough blows in life and refuse to go down for the count, even when things look bleak. Women who may make mistakes, like the rest of us, but women with grit and heart and character, who make us care.

Heroes? I like both brains and brawn, but I’m not into having heroes rescue distressed damsels, even when the suspense reaches crisis stage. A true hero draws out the best in my heroines, pushing them to reach deep inside, discover their inner strength, and make choices that will bring them the love they deserve.


Ann_Campbell said...

Amanda, I look forward to reading your blog everyday this week. I like how you picked your pen name.

Amanda Burns said...

Hi Ann, thanks! Both those great grandparents mean a lot to me. I never got to meet either of them, but I know each of them experienced a lot of grief and pain becuase of circumstances outside their control. I guess I always want to hold out for hope, whatever the circumstance.


angie said...

hi amanda great bloging i also like how you picked your pen name
i like strong hero's and heroines too

Amanda Burns said...

Thanks, Angie! Me too - relationships are best when both partners are strong and can lean on each other as needed, I think. That's what I try to write, anyway!