Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Wednesday Spotlight: Cindy Davis

Marriage…and Life Distractions

My day job is fiction editor. I often meet authors in later stages of life; kids grown, careers developed, financially settled. It’s then they wonder what they’ll do with their time. That’s what happened with me. My kids were grown. I was into my second marriage. (My first left me alone and broke. I’d been a stay-at-home mom for twenty-odd years.)

My new husband was encouraging. “If something happens to me, I want you to have something to fall back on. Pick something you want to do. Go back to school if you want.”

“I always wanted to be a writer,” I said and enrolled in a journalism course. I graduated and got a job with a local magazine. After eight years, I decided fiction was the place to be. Again my oh-so-supportive husband sent me back to school, a novel writing class. First novel, 35,000 words, Submitted. Rejected. Surprise! I honed my craft and produced 92,000 words. Accepted. Published and total shock. Stores didn’t want it…no distributor. First royalty check $17.00—for two years work.

Another novel published. New publisher, better distribution. But these books weren’t ‘returnable.’ Another year down the tubes.

What did I learn? Writing is tremendous fun. It’s emotionally rewarding. It gets great attention and accolades from friends and neighbors.

The moral? If you’re looking for a life-career, pick one that makes money.

1 comment:

Diane Craver said...

searching for a few links for my short stories and decided to read your spotlight interviews - missed them the first time.

So true about the money part - enjoyed reading your posts.

Sorry I'm late. LOL