Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Author Interview: Kathleen Grieve

The Long and the Short of It is pleased to welcome Kathleen Grieve, author of “fun and sexy medical romance.” Kathleen’s debut novel, The Doctor’s Deception is available from The Wild Rose Press. She’s been an avid romance reader of all genres since she was thirteen and, in the summer of 2006, decided to turn her hand to writing her first novel. Taking the old adage to “write what you know” to heart, Kathleen’s books are in a medical profession setting—she has a good background for writing medical romance, because she works in a busy ICU as an RN.

I asked her to tell us a bit about The Doctor’s Deception. “It’s about a completely type-A heart surgeon who tells a little white lie to get the aid of a nurse to change his image,” Kathleen said. “My heroine is a quirky surgical intensive care nurse who worships chocolate. She wonders what it would take to ‘loosen’ the good doc up and has a great time finding out the answer!”

She is currently working on a new book, Dating 911, between a fireman and an ER nurse. She also has a sequel planned, called Dating Impossible.

Kathleen told me that in her writing, the characters definitely come first. “A scene will bug me over and over,” she explained, “with these two people in it until I write it down. Then I go over the details to get the scene right. After that, I think about the goals, motivations, and conflicts that will arise during the book. The sequel I have planned—I had to get that ‘scene’ out of my head before going back to 911.”

Her “day job” as a nurse plays into her answer for what invention she thinks scientists should invent. “Oh, I have lots of ideas about this one,” she said, laughing. “Mostly, they are all related to making my job as a nurse so much easier! So, to describe the inventions probably wouldn't make much sense to someone unless they were in the medical field. But top of my list is a portable device a nurse could dictate all her cares/notes into as she worked. Then she could place it in the downloader and VOILA! All her charting would be done! No more staying after work to chart after a busy night.”

Kathleen shared with me that she’s easily distracted by things going on around her. Consequently, she feels her most interesting writing quirk is that she has to have her I-pod belting out her favorite rock and roll music as she writes.

On a more personal note, I asked Kathleen what she thought when she looked in the mirror first thing in the morning. Her answer, “Another bad hair day! I have naturally curly hair and it is a mess!” When asked if she ever cried during a movie, she said, “Oh, my God! Yes! I’m very sappy that way.” And, an expression she uses a lot is “bummer!”

Finally, I asked Kathleen what advice she would share with a new writer who was just starting out. She told me, “Join a critique group and write as much as you can every week. It’s the only way to learn how to write well.”

You can keep up with Kathleen on her blog,

No comments: