Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Author Interview: Naomi Chapman

The Long and the Short of It is pleased to welcome Naomi Chapman. Naomi is a single mom living in her home town of Fostoria, Ohio, with a three year old. She’s a college student, works at a local hotel, and still finds time to have three books published. Her books, Wallet of Death, The Digby Lake Killer, and Secret Past are all thrillers and she’s currently working on another one, County Road 13.

Naomi told me she can’t remember a time she wasn’t interested in writing. “I just remember sitting in church writing short stories,” she said, “and sitting at school writing. It’s just something I have always loved to do and kept doing.”

“I'm always working on something,” she told me. “I'm always writing. I was sitting in the parking lot at work when I got off one morning waiting for my truck to warm up and I grabbed a piece of paper and wrote down some notes about some lady walking to her car at night in a deserted parking lot.” One day, those notes might become part of one of her next stories.

By the time Naomi had graduated high school, she had written about 70 stories. Unfortunately, after her mom’s death, she threw them away and didn’t begin writing again until just before her son was born. “I probably have 20 written now,” she said.

Her mom’s death was one of the hardest things she’s had to go through and if she could erase any experience from her past, that would be it. “The worse thing in the world,” she shared with me, “was watching my mom die of cancer and not being able to do anything to take the pain away.”

Naomi is very involved in her local writers group, ANN, Authors of Novels and Narratives and is also a member of the International Writer’s Association. She told me, “In October 2007 I worked with some local authors to organize the Autumn Book Festival in Fostoria. I will again be working to organize the 2008 Autumn Book Festival which we are hoping will be bigger and better than the first.”

Although she admits she will probably live the rest of her life in her hometown of Fostoria, she told me that one of her dreams was to live in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Oh, and to get a hippo for Christmas, since that’s her favorite animal.

No comments: