Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Author Interview: Babe King


The Long and the Short of It is pleased to welcome Babe King. Babe lives in Tasmania, a tiny island beneath mainland Australia. She told me, “…locals reportedly have two heads—which are better than one, but can get expensive in hats.” One of her heads, in the persona of Babe, writes romantic comedy and suspense. Her other head, Lyndell King, writes inspirational stories where, she says, “my halo is superglued on.”

It’s obvious from just talking to her why Babe is known for her quirky sense of humor.

She shares home with a sometimes-there husband, two precocious boys, and a variety of creatures both domesticated and wild --though she claims no are as wild as her boys. As a matter of fact, one of the random questions I like to ask is “have you ever eaten a crayon?” Her response to this? “Not deliberately. I have two children. Boys. Stuff happens.”

One of Babe’s favorite authors is Janet Evanovitch. “For starters,” she said, “what a great name!!! Like giving your tongue bongo lessons. And what’s not to like about her most famous character, Stephanie Plum? Well, aside from the fact she can eat what she likes and not get fat, has the world’s two sexiest men vying to get into her bed despite forever having some goo in her hair and, let’s face it, she dances on the edge of slutdom with the way she handles the two of them. But hey. She loves hamsters and is constantly surrounded with wackjobs. Sheer inspired nuttiness.”
Babe’s own characters, Marian (from The Marian Kind) and Jane (Theft of the Golden Hooha, Babe’s current WIP) both have elements of “klutziness.” Babe told me, “I’ve always loved klutzy heroines. Probably because it’s a skill that comes naturally to me and which I practice on a pretty much daily basis.”

As a matter of fact, it’s characters like these two which drive Babe to write. When asked which came first, characters or plot, she was very definite. “For me, it’s always the characters,” she said. “And they won’t shut up! Honestly, it’s like living with the mother-in-law for weeks with her following you everywhere – even into the loo.”

I asked her to tell me a little bit about Theft of the Golden Hooha. “Think Stephanie Plum meets Charlie’s Angels,” she said, “with a fork and spoon fight thrown in for good measure. Not to mention an Alabama hog farm and a semi-bondage scene with the owner of a top NYC hotel. Woohoo!”

She also told me she first considered herself a writer “When I started to write.” Then she added, “Is this a trick question? And no, I haven’t heard one hand clapping or trees falling in the forest. I need more coffee to solve profound conundrums such as these.”

One of the “fun” questions I ask in these interviews is “Do you really really want a dog?” Babe gave a completely new spin on the question. “So, do I want to be a dog….
Hmm, a tough one. If you believe my husband, I have the breath for it some mornings. And I do love a good tummy rub. Definitely a dinner dish always full kind of dog, though. And not a poodle, either. I mean really! Those pompom doos are soooo seventies. Don’t even get me started on shaving your butt…”

I reminded her of the original question. “Oh, WANT a dog? Sheesh! I thought it was WANT TO BE A DOG? I own a pound-puppy Rottweiler. She is featured in my short story, Bloodlines and Heartstrings, which was chosen to lead the Cup of Comfort for Dog Lovers anthology that came out in August.”

When you looked in the mirror this morning, what was the first thing you thought?
Yikes! Quickly followed by, “Boy, did YOU have a rough night!”

What were you doing at midnight last night?

I have kids and I’m a writer – ‘nuff said. I was writing until about 2 am, then slobbering sweet nothings into my pillow and mussing my hair. I do remember going out past midnight. B.C. –before children. Sadly, my back goes out more than I do these days.

If you could wish for anything, what would you wish for?

World peace. I’ve wanted to say that ever since Gracie-Lou Freebush, though harsher gun laws would be good, too.

My website is still under construction because my web designer, Jodici ( who does a FANTASTIC job!!!) is battling with my indecisive nature – well, aside from the flying pigs which were a natural fit. BUT you can catch me at my blog several times a week. I’d love to see you there. I have a couple of reader competitions going on there, too.

In closing, I asked Babe if she had any words of advice for us. “Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like mad! Great way to freak yourself out and to meet dentists.”

Be sure and check out Babe's Website.

Her latest book, The Marian Kind” is now available from Freya’s Bower.

Read Excerpt or Buy Here!

"Set yourself up for a fun ride! ...... excellent one-liners that made me laugh out loud. A breath of fresh air, The Marian Kind is a must read for all romantic comedy readers." Cocktail Reviews
“…had me wheezing for breath I was laughing so hard.” Coffee Time Romance

"Clever descriptions offer a bit of a giggle in between fast action scenes (the love interest is compared to an array of fresh-from-the bakery delights) and the romance sizzles all the way through. The Marian Kind by Babe King is a quick read because it simply won't allow the reader to step away." Read the entire review of "The Marion Kind" at The Long and the Short of It!


Babe King said...

Awh, thanks ma'am. Do they give you danger money to do these interviews?
Oh, and my website is DONE! Yay! I love Jodici, y'know, in a totally straight and professional way. :-)
I have a download of "The Marian Kind" to give away. Just leave a comment here and you'll go in the running. Good luck.

Sela Carsen said...

Ok. That was far and away one of the best interviews I've ever read!! Babe, you slay me!!

Gwen Hayes said...

That really was an awesome interview. Kudos.

And, yeah, having the pleasure of a beta read of the Hooha...I dub thee the next Evanovich. I promise.

AJ O'Donovan said...

That was the best interview i've read! it's nice to hear such honesty.

Ayla (in her pseudonym blogger with no entries lol)

Adelle said...

You always make me laugh. I'm off to check out your new pad. I do hope you kept the flying pigs. Great interview, Babe.
Happy New Year!

Jennifer McKenzie said...

LMAO!!! Babe, that all sounds just like you. Hilarious.
I've read "Something Blue" which is far and away my favorite sweet story of 2007.
*mwah* Fabulous job, dahling!

Diana Castilleja said...

Great interview Babe! You crack me up... :)

L.K. Campbell said...

Wonderful interview, Babe! I'm proud to say that I know you if only in cyberspace.

Kristen Painter said...

Babe, you totally crack me up. You're such a nut!

Babe King said...

Look at you all! Thanks for dropping by. As promised, I put all the names of those who commented here or on my blog into a hat, and drew out AJ. Congratulations! I need your details, chickie, so I can organize your download. :-)
And a big thank you all for entering.

Luv ya,

Babe xoxox

julia said...

I'm a bit late, but wanted to join in the chorus of 'great interview'.

' "It’s always the characters,” she said. “And they won’t shut up! Honestly, it’s like living with the mother-in-law for weeks with her following you everywhere – even into the loo.” '


AJ O'Donovan said...

Oh cool i won, glad i remembered to check back now =D