Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Author Interview: MG Braden

Author Interview:
MG Braden


The Long and the Short of It is pleased to welcome M.G. Braden for this week’s author interview. She told us she’d been writing since high school, but only made the move to writing seriously about three years ago. The birth of her third child last year stalled her a bit, but not significantly. She said, “Since [the birth of my child] I have written and sold four manuscripts, three of which are out already and one that is due out in December.”
We asked her about the stalling, or writers block, she had gone through. “I just felt like I didn’t know how to write and I honestly just couldn’t write a word,” she said. “It took me almost three months before I started writing again.” When asked how she managed to break out of the block she said, “I kept talking to other writers, kept promoting my already published books, and kept trying on ideas. Eventually I found an idea that really sparked my interest and I started writing.”

Since she has three young children, she depends on her husband a lot to help watch the kids while she writes. So, most of her writing is in the evenings or night. She can sometimes get a chance to write while the baby naps and the oldest is in school. That’s the only time her middle child gets some one-on-one time, though, so “the greatest bulk of writing gets done after 8 PM. I don’t mind, really, because I’m a night owl.”

Being animal people, we are always interested in knowing what our authors’ favorite animals are. MG’s is the lion. She told us, “I love lions. I could watch them for hours—their power, their grace, their beauty. Really, any big cats, but the lion best of all.”

She is a talented lady. She writes, multitasks (“which drives my husband nuts because he can’t at all and I’m always trying to get him to”), finds time to juggle her household, time with the kids, and read; she can also tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi. “Those Pepsi Challenge people hate me,” she told us." I always point to each and say which one it is and then I always, always choose Coke. I’m not a huge pop drinker but when I do, it’s Coke.”

She is currently working on something brand new. We asked her for a hint and she said, “All of my work, to date, and my book that is coming out in December, have been sweet contemporary romance. This newest work-in-progress has paranormal elements and is hot. The hardest part for me has been the fully- realized love scenes, since I have always firmly shut the door. But I think ,” she laughed, “well, I hope, anyway that they turned out well. I believe that this story can be awesome, and that I’m presenting a new variation on an old theme.”

We are looking forward to both the book coming out in December and to the new endeavor on MG’s part. Make sure you visit her website.

Thank you, MG, for taking the time to talk with us.

No comments: